Thursday 26 April 2012

Braces

A key attraction of traditional timber frame buildings are the wall braces that ensure the frame remains fixed and prevent lateral movement of the frame. The curved timber was supplied but a lot of work was required to shape to a suitable size.  At first I thought about asking a local saw mill to cut to shape on a band saw.  However when I thought about this I realised this was taking an easy option and I really had to do these by hand. 


I purchased an adze and draw knife and set to work. I had eight large braces to cut and I had cut 7 by 23.04.12. I usually worked on these when the weather was less good and I could work in the garage or - more recently - under the tarpaulin.


Brace ready for using the adze
Brace partially cut with the adze
Finishing the curve with the draw knife
(with help from Miranda)
Brace finished

No comments:

Post a Comment