Thursday 26 April 2012

Arrival of the timber

After asking around I ordered the timber from Anton Coaker who has a saw mill at Sherberton on Dartmoor (visit http://www.anton-coaker.co.uk/). There was a wait for delivery (which was very fortunate as it gave me time to finish the foundations, as I was going to have to store at least some of the timber on the concrete base). 


The timber was delivered to the top of the playing field and the driver and I unloaded it onto a stack just inside the fence. When the lorry arrived I was rather surprised at how much timber there was and when we began to unload I realised just how heavy it was. 


To get the timber from the field to the garden I used a sack barrow - the longer timbers I roped to the barrow and lifted the other end - fortunately it was down hill to the garden although manoeuvring the long lengths into the garden was difficult. My neighbour, Ian, kindly helped me with the two 4 metre long 150 x 150 mm sole plates - the rest I moved myself. It took 7 hours to unload the lorry and move the timber into the garden - it was getting dark as I was finishing.


The following day I sorted the timber out and ended up with two stacks - one stack of timber for the front and rear frames, sole plates and braces (all on the concrete base) and another stack with the remainder in another part of the garden.


Part of the second stack
The base was complete - the timber had arrived - I could now start marking out and cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment